The front of the chapel before, with C20 roughcast cement render hiding the original finish of limewashed stonework.
CAPEL BWLCH NEWYDD, HALPENNY FURZE, CARMARTHENSHIRE
Frans Nicholas Architects undertook in 2008-2010 the comprehensive conservation and repair of Bwlch Newydd Chapel, a grade II listed Baptist chapel near Laugharne, built in 1802. With its intact interior, and its idyllic landscape setting, the practice saw in this project an opportunity to preserve a good example of “the national architectural expression of Wales”
Before work started, the chapel was in a hazardous state of repair. Work included the repair of the gallery structure; the rebuilding of the entire suspended timber ground floor, involving the careful dismantling, numbering and reinstatement of the boxed pews; re-slating the roof and renewing its lead roll hips; improvements in accessibility. Listed Building Consent was obtained to remove C20 cement render from the front elevation, revealing the original finish of limewashed stonework, and allowing the reinstatement of the simple unity of the original architecture. The same dignified simplicity of the original chapel was returned to internally, using a limited palette of colours in both the main space of the chapel and its attached historic vestry.
The work was undertaken with substantial grant aid from Cadw and the HLF.
Contract value: £144,000 Contractor: Ken Filkins